Kerrobert Culture and Recreation News – April 14, 2021
Kerrobert held it’s first vaccination clinic on April 8 and currently the next clinic is currently scheduled for April 21. It was a day celebrated by many and we continue to be reminded by health officials that the way to end Covid is through vaccinations. My families experience with vaccinations has been a positive one and the rest of us are counting the days until we can receive ours. The great news of more vaccinations has come at a time that variant cases are rising in the west central area and throughout Saskatchewan and it is not a time to let our guard down. New restrictions to April 26 and the willingness to follow them will hopefully keep our community safe. Residents can book online or call 1-833-727-5829 for vaccination clinics.
Current guidelines to April 26 :
- All private dwelling indoor gatherings are limited to immediate households only. No guests or other gatherings are allowed at this time.
- Worship gathering sizes are limited to no more than 30 people.
- Mandatory, non-medical mask use are be required in all indoor public spaces.
- Outdoor gatherings limited to maximum 10 people. Social distancing rules still apply.
- Capacity will be restricted to 30 people at all arenas, live theatres, movie theatres, performing arts venues and any other facilities providing social distancing can be obtained.
- Indoor public banquets, conferences, and wedding in public venues will be limited to 30 people. Food or beverages may not be present or served.
- One family at a time is welcome in the Library to browse for books.
Communities in Bloom – Hope is Growing
Communities in Bloom is participating in the National HOPE IS GROWING campaign which encourages people to PLANT YELLOW, the international color of hope. KCS will have students participate in a Town Wide Clean Up Day, by assisting with clean up at various locations including the parks, tree lines, school yard and the hospital. Thank you to those residents who have been helping by picking garbage on their walks and by cleaning their yards. These small acts have a way of cheering up those doing them and those who see the results.
Damaged and beyond repair park equipment has been removed from the Fairgrounds. We will look to paint the remaining equipment this summer. 160 cubic yards of shale should be arriving this week for all three diamonds. Once diamond 3 is levelled, we will have a third diamond to play on. The new fence on Diamond 3 will be installed once the shale has been laid. These projects were both made possible by funds from the Municipal Economic Enhancement project. As of todays date, there is no update on guidelines for outdoor sports. Kerrobert Minor Ball currently has 8 teams ready to play ball and we encourage adult Recreation Ball teams to start thinking about putting a co-ed team together as the hope is that we can once again run a short, 6 week season of Sunday night ball if restrictions allow.
Swimming Pool and Park Program News
We will go above and beyond this summer to ensure that we can safely get as many kids into Kerrobert swim lessons that we are able. We will do this by offering more private lesson times and the option for members of immediate families to take lessons together when time and instruction level make it possible. We share in the disappointment with KCS staff that swim lessons for KCS students will not be able to be offered this June and we fully support this decision. These are difficult decisions to make but they are always made with the safety of our children in mind. Thank you to everyone who has already called expressing their interest in lessons this year with words of support regarding their previous positive experience at our pool. Words of kindness are always needed and always appreciated.
Swimming Lesson Dates are currently booked for: Session 1: July 6-9 & 13-16; Session 2: July 20-23 & July 27-30; Session 3: Aug 10-13 & 17-20. Private lessons times will be shared soon. Lesson registration will be held in mid May and we will encourage people to book by telephone.
Kerrobert Library News
I am happy to report that the Kerrobert Library Board and Staff have been selected to receive the RiversWest Facility of the Year Award in the category of Recreation. These awards are presented to those who have displayed outstanding commitment and dedication to the betterment of the sport, culture and recreation within the District through their volunteer efforts. Sadly, we also have news that Librarian Gerri Walz has resigned from her position. We wish you well Gerri and thank you for all you have done in our Library and for our patrons in the past year and half!
Dates to Remember :
- April 21 – 25 – Kerrobert Golf Club open for early membership purchases – 1:00 pm to 8:00pm
- April 19 – Pioneers Haven Co. Inc. Annual Meeting – 7:00
- April 27 – Spring Clean up Day (bagged leaves in clear bags will be picked up in front yards)
- May 4 – Spring Clean up Day (bagged leaves in clear bags will be picked up in front yards)
- May 13 – Kerrobert Library Meeting
- May 18 – Communities in Bloom meeting – 6:30 p.m.
- May 28 – Communities in Bloom Planting Day – 9:00 a.m.
- June 4 – Kerrobert Swimming Pool Opens
- June 6-11 – KCS Virtual Rebel Run – check out the KCS Facebook page for more info!
- July 3-4 – Courthouse Centennial Celebration and Rodeo 2021
- Sept. 17 – Memorial Arena opens
April 18 – 24 is National Volunteer week. This is an opportunity to recognize volunteers for their selfless contributions and inspire new volunteers to get involved. The loss of Prince Phillip this past week highlighted an example of a life dedicated to the service of others from his service in World War II to his lifelong commitment to his country, the commonwealth and the Queen. But we don’t have to look far to see lives dedicated to service even in our little community. You will enjoy a lovely article this week about the K-40’s and K-ettes, a group of amazing people who have done incredible acts of service for our community.
I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank the inspiring volunteers I have worked with in the last 5 years while acting as Rec Director but also with those who I have worked with since joining my first committee 26 years ago. I have had the pleasure of working with most service groups and organizations in our community and I find their passion and commitment inspiring and our debates and our laughs to have been some of the most enjoyable of times. Thank you to all.
Sask Health Line – 811
211 Saskatchewan – 211 (24hr, free, confidential service to help connect to mental health services)
West Central Crisis Center – 1-306-463-6655
West Central Crisis after hours – 1-306-463-1860 (24 hour line)
Heartland Health Region – 1-866-268-9139
Kerrobert Food Bank – 834-5294 or 834-8292
Kerrobert KidSport – 834-2344
Recreation on call phone – 834-8355